UnityLink Financial Services Limited – Privacy Statement
Effective Date: July 1st, 2011
This Online Privacy Statement sets out how Unity Link collects and uses and protects any personal information (“Information”) that we obtain when you visit and/or use our Web site in the United Kingdom.
Information we collect
UnityLink collects Information about you from a variety of sources including those listed below. You consent to the collection, transfer and storage of this information by computers or other transfer or storage devices in United Kingdom and elsewhere when you supply it, including the transfer and retention of your data outside of the European Economic Area to countries, including the United States, whose laws on holding personal data may be less stringent.
- We collect Information you supply when: (a) you ask us or one of our affiliated companies, UnityLink agents or suppliers (“Affiliates”) to send or receive money or to provide other goods or services; (b) you submit information on applications or other forms to us or our Affiliates; or (c) you otherwise submit information to us, our Affiliates or others;
- We collect Information about your transactions with us, our Affiliates or others;
- We collect information about you from a variety of third party sources such as our business customers, government agencies and consumer reporting agencies and other suppliers of public information, in order to verify any of the information you provide in order to effect, administer and enforce transactions;
- We collect Information about the domain and host from which you access the Internet; your computer’s Internet address; the browser and operating system software you use; the date and time you access our Web site and the Internet address of the site from which you linked to our Web site when you visit us;
- We collect and retain your bank card details for use in future transactions; and we collect Information on your online activity as described in the paragraph below titled “internet technology.”
Collection of Information
UnityLink Financial Services may obtain information about our customers from a variety of sources:
- To store your preferences and other information and to track activity on our website;
- To better understand the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns;
- To determine whether you came to our site from a banner ad or an affiliate website;
- To deliver Information specific to your interests on additional web sites; and
- To determine whether you’ve acted on our promotional messages
The information we collect includes name; address, telephone number; information about the form of identification used to send or receive a transaction (required by law in some instances and used by UnityLink to prevent fraud); and transaction activity.
We use Internet technologies like cookies and Web beacons for a variety of purposes, including, but not limited to, those identified below.
- To assist us in providing services to you;
- To allow you to change Web pages during your visit without having to re-enter your password;
- To temporarily track activity on our Web site;
- To determine whether you came to our site from a banner ad or an Affiliate Web site; or
- To deliver Information specific to your interests on additional Web sites.
A “cookie” is a text file placed on your computer’s hard drive by a Web site. Your Web browser uses it to guide you to sites based on your interest. “Web beacons” are transparent electronic images placed in the Web code that collect non-personal data while visiting a Web site. Cookies and Web beacons can usually be disabled by changing your browser preferences. This will limit the performance of Unitylink’s Web site. Your browser usually has documentation on how to disable cookies and Web beacons. INFORMATION WE DISCLOSE Subject to your consent or as otherwise permitted by law, we may disclose the Information we collect in the paragraphs titled, “INFORMATION WE COLLECT” and “INTERNET TECHNOLOGY”
We may disclose Information with the following UnityLink Financial Services related companies to effect, administer and complete transactions:
- Sterling Consumer Finance
- Banks, credit card companies, credit reporting agencies
We may disclose Information about current and former consumers to the following types of third parties and for the following purposes, which are not subject to your consent:
- Legal, regulatory, security and processing requirements, British government requirements and foreign government requirements applicable to us or our Affiliates or service providers; and
- As permitted or required by law.
We may only disclose Information about current and former consumers upon notice that you have provided unambiguous consent (opt-in) to perform marketing, business analysis and advertising services with companies only with whom we have contractual or joint marketing arrangements.
Confidentiality and security
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure and we endeavour to maintain physical, electrical and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable government regulations to guard your Information. We also endeavour to restrict Information access to our employees, agents and representatives that need to know it. Despite our efforts, and as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions sent to us or may wrongly instruct you to disclose Information to them while posing as Unity Link.. Your choice may be for disclosures of Information to our Affiliates only, or to disclose your Information to non affiliated third parties as well as our Affiliates. Your choice can be submitted to us during the registration or transaction process or you can contact us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
Some disclosures are not subject to your consent. These include, among others, disclosures necessary to effect, administer or enforce a transaction you request; disclosures: i) as permitted or required by law; ii) for public safety; iii) to prevent fraud; or iv) in connection with other illegal activities.
Unity Link maintains your choice and transaction history based on our record retention policies. If you do not perform another transaction within the retention time period, your Information, as well as your choice will be removed.
Accuracy of information
You may request (by contacting us in the manner set out below) details of the Information we hold and request us to correct or erase any erroneous or out-of-date Information. We reserve the right to independently verify claims made. To protect your privacy, we also will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before making providing details or corrections. Where permitted by law, we reserve the right to assess a service charge for providing you any information in connection with your request.
Unity Link’s Web site may be linked to or from third party Web sites. Unity Link is not responsible for the content or privacy practices employed by Web sites that are linked to or from our Web site.
Unity Link Financial Services reserves the right to modify this Privacy Statement. Updated Privacy Statements will be posted at this Web site when amendments occur. We urge you to review this Privacy Statement when you visit to obtain the most current statement. We also accept questions by regular mail and by telephone at the locations identified below:
UnityLink Financial Services Limited
158-160 Balham High Road
Or by Telephone
0208 772 2160